Lit Review: Everything's a Remix
Everything is a Remix.
Even the video I’m reviewing, Everything Is A Remix, is itself a remix of existing papers talking about the history of certain companies and the ability to copy.
- Written and Remixed by Kirby Ferguson around 2012
- Has a brief overview of the history of remixing and copying ideas, information, and music, and covers some of the legal issues involved when someone chooses to copy or remix something today.
- Several in-depth examples in a variety of mediums
- Used humor to keep people interested - even a friend who was in my room when I was watching it was watching and amused by it
- Good introduction to the ideas involved
- Does only cover things briefly, so more detail would be useful
- Some of the audio samples were a bit tricky to make out, more easily distinguishable or recognizable ones might be better
- Gives a rather depressing view of the current state of affairs
- How can ordinary people be more involved in the legal issues?
- How likely is it that “subconcious copying” will cause problems for people?
- What can be done to reduce the power that sample & patent trolls have over inventors?
Rating: 8/8 Stallman Beards
Previous: BizLegFOSS/Linux Dev: First Flight
Next: Lit Review: FOSS Primer