Community Contribution: Rebase Gone Wrong
"Just rebase, it won't be that bad!"
Said nobody. Ever.
For my community contribution, I attempted to bring an old pull request up to date. Unfortunately, I didn't expect it to be so far from master.
Merging was fine, until I ran across the dreaded words: "This could use a rebase." OK, let's rebase.
As you can tell from my pull request, it's not that simple.
My original goal was to merge master onto a pull, so that the pull can be read more conveniently. This backfired when there were commits going back eight months. I tried to clean up by rebasing the commits, though I forgot that that would lose a lot of data, and so the merge won't work easily.