HFOSS: 4th Grade Math Curriculums
For the HFOSS course, we had to examine the New York and Massachusetts curriculums for fourth grade math.
- Familiarity with the four basic operations with whole numbers
- Factors and multiples
- Generate and analyze patterns
- Place Value and arithmatic for multi-digit numbers
- Fraction equivalence and ordering
- Fraction <=> Decimal
- Measurement, geometry, and angles
- We couldn't really find anything of importance
The things we were most interested in were the fraction components. As Derek mentioned in his blog, we had an idea involving a robot navigating a maze, using up a certain fraction of their available fuel. Ways to make it better for teaching might involve multi-stage "mazes", where the goal could be reached with the set amount of fuel, but the students need to collect items in the maze first that can only be obtained with specific amounts of fuel.